Friday, August 10, 2012

Boy's Sports Room

When my son was entering Kindergarten, we bought a pre-owned loft bed with a slide from a friend who needed to get rid of it to make room for a new baby. It was interesting how that happened becuase I was searching all over Craigslist so we wouldn't have to spend a lot to get him a bed. I happened to be complaining about my lack of luck in my Facebook status and a friend contacted me saying they were selling a really cool bed. SOLD! We got it for about $100 and of course I knew it was time for a room makeover for the growing boy. No more baby jungle animals on the wall...time for something more fun - SPORTS!

Of course, I didn't want to spend a fortune buying an entire matching set of items from Target because it would have added up quickly. You can't just buy a comforter anymore - it's a bed-in-a-bag. Then there are the matching curtains, the lamp, the wall art, the list just goes on and on.

Bed-in-a-bag from Target

I did end up at Target and decided to splurge on the bed-in-a-bag and a pack of coordinating wall stickers. But I said no to the curtains and other goodies. Instead, I hit up a store called Ollie's Bargain Outlet (similar to Odd Lots). I was able to get navy blue valances for $4 a piece.

I wanted to add my special touch (naturally) so I scanned the wall stickers and saved the file. I cropped different copies for each of the pictures and saved them as separate files.

I bought Avery® Inkjet Fabric Transfer Paper and printed each ball (twice - once for each valance) on the transfer paper and ironed it onto squares of tan fabric.

Using a bright red thread, a triple zig-zag stitch and my sewing machine, I stitched the tan squares to the valances and viola!

Well, my other problem was since there is an open crawl space under this new bed, what can I do with it? My first idea was storage. But we use the closet for that. There really isn't anything to hide under there that can't find another home. Why not make it a 'fort'?

I got some super cheap navy blue fabric, tan double-fold bias tape, and some sewable super-sticky velcro. To enclose three sides of the bed, I made 4 panels. One on each side and two in the front (to allow for a doorway).

I measured the space across the front (height and width). I transferred the measurements to the blue fabric and added 1/2" on all four sides for seam allowance and velcro. I cut it right up the center to turn it into two panels and hemmed all four sides of each piece.

What's a fort without windows? In the center of the two front panels, I cut the sides and bottom of a window (not the top). Lined it with bias tape along with the doorway. If he wants the windows open, he just flips them up and stuffs them behind the lowest wood beam above them.

I made a few more tan squares (with the transfer paper), stitched them on with the red triple zig-zag stitch to bring that look from the curtains in.

I then stitched the unsticky side of the velcro in three pieces across the top back. I stuck the opposite side of the velcro on the underside of the edge of the bed and there it hangs!

I couldn't resist making a couple pillows too:

1 comment:

  1. This is great - you definitely inherited the "creative" gene! XXX000 Aunt Poody Pat